Friday, December 4, 2009

Reindeer "Tear Bear" Assembly Tutorial

LIMITED EDITION TEMPLATE!

Hello Friends!

As promised, I was able to get a tutorial together for assembling our new Reindeer Paper Piecing Template.  It's been 24 hours since our release!  The comments have been overwhelming from all of you.  I've received serveral emails from our website on how adorable it is.  I'm does my heart good knowing that you are all pleased. {smiles}.

Okay, so here we go.
The first thing I did was traced all of my parts onto the back side of the mulberry paper.  I chose Caramel paper for my Reindeer.

*** One thing to remember:  decide which way you want your reindeer to face.  If you want his head to the left, you will trace the opposite way onto your mulberry paper.  I wanted mine facing left, so I flipped over the important pieced (my letters on my pattern were backwards) - the body and the tail are the only 2 pieces you will need to worry about. ***

The way this template is designed, you will need to completed heads.  1 is the actual head, and the other  makes up the breast of the body.

Notice that I marked each part with it's corresponding letter in the middle of each piece.  This will help you match up your pieced for layering and assembly.  I hate when I put a something together upside down. LOL


Here's a quick tip for saving paper.  Notice how I matched up the lines for the legs.  Spacing isn't an issue when you are dealing with pieces like this.  Using the edge of your paper is okay too as long as it is going to be glued behind something and not visible.

After I've traced all my piecing, I then go over them with my watertank brush.  I only do about 4-5 at a time and then tear, otherwise, by the time you get back to tearing, your water will have dried already.

After wetting, I lay them out to dry.

Once your pieces have dried, go ahead and start matching up the layers.  Isn't it easier now that you've marked them with your pencil?

After layering, let the glue dry for a little while.

Now it's time to fluff your pieces.  Yeah, I made a mess, and I sneezed through the whole thing - lol.  I haven't done that in a while.

Time to add some chalk.  I used Colorbox Chestnut Roan Fluid Chalk.  It is a richer color and really makes the dimensional aspects of this piecing pop.

Oh, don't forget to cut out your cardstock piecings!  This part is next.  I added some fluid chalk to the antlers before attaching them to my reindeer.


The first thing I did was adhere the muzzle to the head.  This makes it easier to position the ears correctly. 

To attach the ears and antlers, I placed a dab of adhesive to the ear where it would meet with the head.  I lined both pieces up symetrically for even placement.  Then, I tucked the antlers between the the head and ears.  I had enough adhesive on the ears that I didn't need anymore for the antlers.

Here is how your reindeer should look.

Lets work on finishing the head.  I used my paper shaper paw punch for the eyes.  I like little eyes on my reindeer, but you could use bigger ones if you choose.   Remember, it's all about personality.



To aide me in positioning the eyes, I first attached the nose using my craft tweezers.  Just a dab of adhesive will do.  I chose red... my guy is Rudolph.  Next, add the eyes.

Before I went any further, I attached the hoofs to the very bottom of each leg.



Remember that extra head?  Here is where it goes.  If you marked it, you will be sure to get the correct placement.  Add a bit of adhesive to the top of the 2nd head and attach it to the back of the "actual" head as shown.


Here is how your reindeer should look so far.


Next, we are going to add the first set of legs.  Notice that I layer them.  I placed one just a smidge on top of the other to give it a dimensional look.  I ran some glue along the top of both legs and attached them to the back of the breast.

I think our reindeer needs a body.  Again, if you marked your piece correctly, you'll know which way you should be assembling.


Attach the body to the back of the breast. It should also be on top of the front legs.


He's looking good so far.

Now, attach the hind legs the same way you attached the front legs.  Notice, the 4th leg is a bit on top of the 3rd.  The third is completely behind the 2nd.  Boy, I hope that made sense - LOL.

Our last attachment is the tail.  A little dab will do it.  Adhere the tail to the back of the body.

Well, I never said the back side was pretty, now did I.  Anyway, here is what the back of your dear should look like.

Pencil marks can easily be removed with your fluffing brush.  Just use light stokes across the letters and it will come right out.


And here is my finished Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  I added some Holly and Berrys and a cute bell collar. I decided that his breast needed a hint of white so I simply tore a small triangular piece (single layer) of mulberry paper and glued it in place.  I added some Xmas Red Stickles to the Berries and Nose.  I used my white gel pen to highlight the eyes, hooves and antlers.  I grabbed my fine tip black pigma pen for eyebrows.

There you have it.  Now, isn't he adorable?  Now sit back and admire your masterpiece!  And don't forget to share them with us. 

Thanks for stopping by.  Please feel free to leave us a comment or post a note to your blog so we can visit.




3 comments:

  1. this is adorable! Just too stinkin cute! Now I want to learn and make this one! LOL. Awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this site today, I am a scrapbooker, and I just love your bears and reindeer and and and so cute I want to learn how to make everything thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Thank you! For me it's great to see the step by step process. I'm not always so great at the right placement of the pieces, so this is very helpful thanks. Hopefully there will be more to come :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave us a comment or ask a question. We loving hearing from you. :)